Port overcome Collingwood in Boak's 300th

Karl Amon is congratulated by teammate Willem Drew as the Power beat Collingwood in the AFL.
Karl Amon is congratulated by teammate Willem Drew as the Power beat Collingwood in the AFL.

Port Adelaide have held off a persistent Collingwood by 28 points in star veteran Travis Boak's 300th game to consolidate their position inside the AFL's top-four.

After a week of adversity which saw their home game moved to an empty Marvel Stadium due to South Australia's lockdown, Port overcame a sluggish opening quarter to prevail with their 13th win of the season.

Collingwood (5-13, 15th) led by five points at quarter-time but a lower leg injury saw captain Scott Pendlebury subbed out at the first break and replaced by tall forward Mason Cox.

The veteran midfielder fears he has broken his leg but Collingwood coach Robert Harvey says it is too early for it to be assessed accurately.

The Magpies were not the same in Pendlebury's absence, despite some brief periods where they looked a chance of causing an upset, as Port cruised to victory 14.13 (97) to 10.9 (69).

It was far from the Power's most clinical performance of the season but there was still plenty to like as young guns Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma all showed enough on return from injury.

Boak again showed there are still plenty of years left in his dazzling career, racking up 30 possessions as he became just the second Port player after Kane Cornes to reach 300 games.

"We've had things go on this week that's caused us to not have the perfect preparation, but in Trav's milestone, I'm more than pleased that we were able to make sure he came off a winner in his 300th game," Port coach Ken Hinkley said.

"It's an outstanding result for him as a player and for us as a team it's equally as important for where we sit this year."

Fellow midfielder Ollie Wines had another productive outing to further boost his Brownlow Medal prospects.

Power spearhead Charlie Dixon worked hard and capitalised on some lucky umpiring decisions to finish with four goals, with teammate Todd Marshall added three majors.

But Port ruckman Scott Lycett could face a nervous wait ahead of the match review officer's ruling after making late contact with Magpies star Brodie Grundy during the third quarter.

Collingwood struggled for goal-kicking threats outside of Brody Mihocek (three) and exciting teenager Ollie Henry (two), but onballer Taylor Adams was by far the Magpies' top performer with 21 possessions before halftime but was well held after the main break.

"It doesn't help when you have a young group in and you lose your captain but I thought we adjusted okay," Harvey said.

"On the run, I thought we were able to cover him in the midfield, you just can't cover that leadership ... but I thought we fought on really well."

Port are due to face GWS next weekend while Collingwood are scheduled to host West Coast at the MCG.

Australian Associated Press