South Coast home destroyed in fire, sole 15yo occupant escapes blaze

The house on Bank St, Eden on fire on Tuesday night. Picture: Fire and Rescue NSW Station 286 Eden
The house on Bank St, Eden on fire on Tuesday night. Picture: Fire and Rescue NSW Station 286 Eden

A South Coast house belonging to a family of five was destroyed by fire on Tuesday night, but the sole occupant at the time managed to escape the blaze.

Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Eden and Merimbula and Rural Fire Service NSW Eden arrived at the house on Bank St, Eden about 7pm.

FRNSW reported the fire was contained to the structure, but there was extensive fire damage to the home and the contents inside it were destroyed.

The fire was extinguished and the area made safe about 10.30pm and by Wednesday the incident was being investigated by both FRNSW Eden and Eden police.

An Ambulance NSW spokesperson said a 15-year-old male was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but suffered no further injury.

There was extensive damage to the structure of the house and its contents were destroyed. Picture: Supplied

There was extensive damage to the structure of the house and its contents were destroyed. Picture: Supplied

Tiona Hall, a friend of the family, has set up an online fundraising campaign to support the family via GoFundMe, which can be seen by clicking here.

Ms Hall claimed the fire was an accident, alleging it began when a log rolled out of the fireplace.

She told ACM the 15-year-old was at home alone when the fire began, but managed to escape the blaze.

"I could see the flames from my place around the corner, the Eden crews were there pretty quickly," Ms Hall said.

The family were visiting extended family in Wollongong at the time of the fire, and the 15-year-old son, who is the eldest of three boys, joined them on Wednesday.

"They're distraught, but everyone is safe," Ms Hall said.

"They'll take it one day at time, have to figure out about another house now."

Jason Ferguson, manager at Eden Beachfront Holiday Park has offered the family a cabin to stay in until they can find another house.

"I'm happy to help them out for a few weeks until they get back on their feet," Mr Ferguson said.

On Wednesday morning, a NSW Police media spokesperson said officers attended the scene and initial inquiries suggested the fire had come from a fireplace, but the matter was still under investigation.

Comments