Eden rescue: surfer in his 60s confirmed dead: PHOTOS

11.45AM: Police have confirmed that the man who drowned at Quondolo Beach this morning was a surfer aged in his 60s.

A NSW Police spokesperson said the man was pulled unconscious from the water by fellow surfers, who performed CPR in an attempt to save him.

Emergency services also attended the scene, but he was unable to be revived.

He is yet to be formally identified, and his next of kin are still to be informed of his death.

Police will prepare a report for the coroner; the death is not being treated as suspicious.

9.46AM: Police have confirmed one person has died in an incident on the Far South Coast.

A NSW Police spokesman said a man had been found unconscious on Quondolo Beach near Haycock Road after he was believed to have been pulled from the water about 9.15am.

Life saving services and police rushed to the scene but the person was unable to be revived. 

The Westpac Life Saver Helicopter was diverted from its search for the man whose light-plane crashed into the water south of Batemans Bay on Sunday. Full story here.

Westpac Life Saver Helicopter chief executive Stephen Leahy said their rescue crew had been deployed to the beach around 9.20am

CPR was commenced on the man around 9.15am. Rescue teams were stood down about 9.40am, with the Westpac Life Save Helicopter sent back to Moruya to refuel before recommencing its search for the light plane crash victim. 

The matter is now in the hands of police. 

Mr Leahy said the Westpac Life Saver Helicopter had been earlier deployed to search for Ralph Buchanan who has been missing since Sunday after his plane crashed, claiming the life of his friend Graham White.

“At this stage Water Police have provided us with an extensive search area off the coast of the Barlings Beach to identify anything that may have come from the place accident, whether that is further items of debris of the missing man,” he said.

Mr Leahy said the helicopter would continue to search the area throughout the day with staff subject to the wishes of Water Police search command.

“We know the man who is missing but we’ve got a new crew on the helicopter today and they’re eager to do everything,” he said. 

In a statement, the Westpac Life Saver Helicopter service said their "thoughts and prayers are with the men's families and our friends an colleagues at the Moruya Airport".

"Our crews were involved very quickly after the accident on Sunday and they recovered the body of Graham," said a spokesman. 

9.40AM UPDATE:  Rescue services have been stood down from Quondolo Beach near Pambula. Their services are no longer required.

The matter is now in the hands of police. More details to come.

9.20AM: Emergency services are on their way to Quondolo Point, south of Pambula, following reports that someone has been dragged from the water by a bystander.

CPR is believed to be underway and the Westpac Life Saver helicopter is just minutes away from the location.

More details as they come to hand.


Discuss "Eden rescue: surfer in his 60s confirmed dead: PHOTOS"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.