A former Federal Court judge will review the investigation by South Australian workplace safety officials into the tragic death of outback nurse Gayle Woodford.
John Mansfield will also examine the agency's engagement with the Woodford family during its investigation.
Earlier this month SafeWork SA revealed its decision not to prosecute the country health organisation that employed Ms Woodford.
It said a dedicated team had conducted a comprehensive 12-month investigation to determine if the Nganampa Health Council had breached the Work Health and Safety Act.
Following that investigation, and after taking legal advice, it determined there was no reasonable prospect of conviction.
But in announcing the review on Wednesday, Attorney General Kyam Maher said concerns had since been raised.
Mr Maher said the government was determined to ensure such concerns were investigated thoroughly.
"No review or inquiry can make up for the loss of Ms Woodford, but I want to ensure her loved ones' views are heard," Mr Maher said.
"I have spoken with those supporting the Woodford family and I thank them for their time and for representing the family's concerns."
Ms Woodford had lived in Fregon, 1275km north of Adelaide, and worked at the NHC's local clinic in the period before she was abducted, raped and murdered by Dudley Davey in 2016.
The 56-year-old's body was found buried in a crude grave three days after she went missing from her home.
It was believed Davey, who had a significant history of violent and sexual offending and is now serving a minimum 32-year jail term, tricked her into opening a security cage around the building and overpowered her as she walked to her ambulance.
After announcing its decision not to prosecute, SafeWork SA said the complexity of the investigation included seizing and critically examining more than 1200 documents, obtaining statements from all witnesses and interviewing both health council staff and Davey.
"Having thoroughly investigated the matter and assessed all the evidence with the Crown Solicitor's Office and after receiving advice from senior counsel, SafeWork SA determined that there was no reasonable prospect of conviction," it said.
Mrs Woodford's family was disappointed and believed the decision went against findings from a coronial inquiry.
In his inquest, Deputy Coroner Anthony Schapel detailed a number of previous instances of violence or threats against NHC staff and called for a permanent police presence in Fregon.
He also found that measures adopted by NHC for the protection of nursing staff working alone at night and on-call were not adequate.
Mr Maher said the review of the SafeWork SA investigation would be completed by July this year and made public.
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.