NSW Nationals leader and member for Monaro John Barilaro says he will not be contesting the federal seat of Eden-Monaro, despite plenty of speculation.
In a statement released Monday morning, Mr Barilaro said "ego can quickly skew decisions" and a weekend of contemplation had made his path clear.
"After taking the weekend to contemplate a tilt for the seat of Eden Monaro, I have decided that I will not run as a candidate," the Deputy Premier said.
"In politics, ego can quickly skew decisions, and sometimes make you forget what is best for yourself, your family and what could be the best outcome for the people of Eden Monaro.
"I have always worked and strived for outcomes, not titles - making a difference, not just accepting the status quo, and in this time of self-contemplation, it is clear I can do more as NSW Deputy Premier, leader of the NSW Nationals and as the Member for Monaro.
"My decision was difficult but at the heart of it, I love NSW, and the incredible job we have done so far and I want to be here to face the challenges ahead as we rebuild from drought, bushfires and COVID-19.
"I want to say thank you to everyone who has reached out, supported and encouraged me to go on this journey, but at the same time reaffirmed their support in whatever I decide.
"I especially want to thank Gladys Berejiklian for her gracious and gentle counsel, and my National Party colleagues who have supported me in every step of this decision making - I express my utmost gratitude.
"To the people of Eden Monaro, know that as the state Member I will continue to fight for you, regardless of boundaries, and as NSW Deputy Premier, I will continue to make our region the best it can be, for today and for our incredible tomorrow."