Eden Tigers fall out of grand final chase

Tigerette Jacqueline Keevil-Scott looks for an offload option as a High Heeler defender gets to grips with her tag on Sunday.
Tigerette Jacqueline Keevil-Scott looks for an offload option as a High Heeler defender gets to grips with her tag on Sunday.

Eden's finals campaign was brought to an abrupt close on Sunday after losses in both the reserves and league-tag women's fixtures.

The Mighty Eden club were brought unstuck by the Bombala High Heelers and the Snowy River Bears in their respective encounters in front of an enthusiastic home crowd at George Brown Memorial Oval.

The ladies clash opened the account on the day and the Tigerettes appeared to lack a bit of venom in the attack from the outset.

The Tigerettes had been one of the quickest clubs in the competition with try-scoring prodigies Ebony Pointon and equal best and fairest Tamika Millard as two of the primary speedsters.

The Tigerettes options were regularly stifled with the Bombala defensive line moving up quickly and covering the gaps.

Karter Hampshire had crossed in the first two minutes for the HIgh Heelers and the Bombala outfit were beaming off the back of the early points.

The Tigers ran a variety of options at the Bombala line, but unfortunately nothing stuck.

Stacey Duivesteyn and Hayley Spink ran some good lines to the right edge, while Jacqueline Keevil-Scott dictated a lot of play through the middle with left-hand options to Pointon and Millard.

Rebecca Gray was in the thick of play through the middle and made some excellent tags, as well as joining efforts to charge down the ball of Eden kicks.

Bombala's attacking efforts were headed by fullback Patrice Clear, who landed the High Heelers' second before centre George Jones landed a four-pointer in the dying minute of the first half.

And kicking her own conversion, Jones gave the visitors a 14-point lead.

Eden's fire had been lit by the second half, but the renewed energy was just enough to contain the High Heelers, while few options were forthcoming for points, with Bombala holding the Eden club out long enough for the win 14-0.

In the reserves, it was costly errors late in the piece that all but gifted the Snowy River Bears the result in a temper-fuelled game.

'Come on boys, football' came the cry from the field after the Tigers had taken a 16-8 lead halfway through the second half.

The Bears had goaded the Tigers throughout and while play had been largely mild in the first half, tensions began to kick off as the clock started to tick away on winning chances.

A Bears player was binned for kicking, and the Tigers started to firm as grand finalists, but in heated exchanges, the Bears found penalties they needed to march up the field.

Troy Freebody got the Bears within two.

However, it was an offside call with two minutes to play that gifted the Bears good field position and Snowy River half Troy Hamilton dived across the chalk in the left pocket to seal Eden's finish 20-16.