Acting Premier John Barilaro attacks radio station: 'Hashtag turn off ABC South East'

HEATED MOMENT: Acting Premier and Member for Monaro John Barilaro has criticised a rural media organisation in a heated on-air interview.

HEATED MOMENT: Acting Premier and Member for Monaro John Barilaro has criticised a rural media organisation in a heated on-air interview.

Acting Premier John Barilaro has launched an extraordinary on-air attack at ABC South East NSW, appearing to encourage people to stop listening to the station.

He also heatedly exclaimed he would not leave politics while the independent broadcaster continued to operate.

In an interview on Wednesday, July 24, breakfast presenter Simon Lauder asked if it was still the Member for Monaro's position to see an immediate 50 per cent reduction of wild horses in Kosciuszko National Park.

In a heated answer Mr Barilaro said Mr Lauder was continuing to "perpetrate the lies" and "cherry-picking" his comments as they already had the conversation on the radio show.

"I said I want a population count of those horses and it could be possible you could see a reduction of 50 per cent and I would support that," he said.

"We need to find what is the balance, we're working through the advisory committee and what I'm sick to death of is also the mis-truths perpetrated by the ABC on the commentary that I have said and done."

...I have no intention of leaving politics while there are outlets like the ABC South East...

Acting Premier John Barilaro

He said if there were only 4-5000 horses then he would not support a 50 per cent target, as it depended on the number recorded in the national park.

Mr Barilaro then accused ABC South East of cancelling an interview with him on budget day to discuss the new budget then claimed the day after the Labor opposition appeared on the radio station to talk about the same subject.

"I'm sick to death of ABC South East," he said.

"You guys are perpetrating a bias against the sitting members, including me.

"And I tell you what, you were shown up at the election both state and federal and continue to be shown up, and I tell you what, hashtag turn off ABC South East."

Mr Barilaro continued to allege the national broadcaster only reported negatively about the government, gave preference to the Labor party's views and that he had been "cut out of that equation".

"The only thing you guys have covered in the early stages of this new term was that I announced during the election that I wouldn't run again, that this would be my final four years," he said.

"I'll tell you what, I'll take that off the record.

"I'll announce on your show, here's your scoop, I have no intention of leaving politics while there are outlets like the ABC South East and while I want to continue to fight for the people of Monaro and the broader state."

Mr Lauder was audibly taken aback by the comments, saying the claims were untrue.

In response to the interview, ABC South East chief of staff Lisa Markham said the radio station would be reviewing its logs as Mr Barilaro suggested to ensure it was balanced in its broadcasting.

"All politicians and all views have a place on your local ABC radio station and while it was a feisty discussion we will be keen to get Mr Barilaro back talking about the issues that matter to us in the South East," Ms Markham said.

"The ABC has very rigorous editorial processes to guide us on being fair and balanced in our content and we always do our best to meet those expectations."

She said ABC South East did cancel a planned interview with Mr Barilaro the morning after the NSW budget because the appointed budget journalist for ABC Regional in Sydney provided her station with a recording of a face-to-face interview with Mr Barilaro immediately following the budget delivery.

"As it covered South East issues, and we also had Member for Bega Andrew Constance live on ABC South East that morning, we chose to use the recording of Mr Barilaro instead," Ms Markham said.

"No disrespect was intended by ABC South East staff."

By Thursday afternoon, there were no mentions of #turnoffabcsoutheast on Twitter, Facebook or Google.