The 135th anniversary of New South Wales’ southernmost lighthouse will be celebrated on November 3 when the historic Green Cape Light Station’s 1,000,000 candlepower light flashes again across the waters of Disaster Bay.
The powerful light will shine 40km out into the Tasman Sea for the whole night to mark the event while locals celebrate with a sausage sizzle.
“It’s 10 years since the light was last turned on when we celebrated the 125th anniversary of the Green Cape Light Station,” National Parks and Wildlife Service Sapphire Coast manager Andrew Wall said.
“The station will be open to the public from 5.30pm to 8.30pm with the light being lit from 7pm until the sunrise the next day. We’re hosting a free sausage sizzle and all community members are invited.
“Remember to bring a torch if you plan on staying into the evening.”
The Green Cape Lighthouse is at the tip of Green Cape, a headland forming the northern boundary of Disaster Bay, south of Eden. It is Australia's first lighthouse built in concrete standing 29 metres high and is the second tallest lighthouse in NSW.
The lighthouse was designed by James Barnet and built from 1881 to 1883 by Albert Aspinall who had to build a miniature port at Bittangabee Bay to bring in equipment and material for the lighthouse.
The lighthouse started operating in 1883, when it was the largest mass-concrete structure built in NSW at the time. It was decommissioned in 1992 and added to the NSW Heritage Register on February 1, 2013.
NPWS in conjunction with Lighthouses of Australia has been granted permission from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority to operate the heritage lighthouse at Green Cape for the anniversary.