A fire that gutted Eden business Pickin Chicken overnight has left new owners reeling after taking over the business only seven weeks ago.
The devastated business partners were returning to Eden from a food supervisors’ course in Bega at about 6pm, when they were told a fire had broken out in a deep fryer and spread through the shop.
Efforts by staff to douse the fire using a fire blanket and three fire extinguishers was unsuccessful and the shop was quickly evacuated, along with neighbouring business Eden IGA.
The blaze was under control by 8pm with assistance from many units from NSW Fire and Rescue and Rural Fire Service at the front and rear of the building.
Nearby businesses escaped damage.
Police, ambulance and chemical containment unit HAZMAT were also on the scene and passers-by directed the steady flow of traffic away from the Police barrier.
Authorities were speaking this morning (Tuesday) with the families and staff and making the premises safe.
See this Thursday’s Eden Magnet for the full story and photographs.