A member of the public noticed a goanna eating something on Saturday on the Far South Coast and thought it was a bird.
As she got closer she noticed some little legs hanging out.
Frightened by her approach the goanna spat out its meal, which turned out to be a baby echidna, or puggle, and scarpered off.
The puggle was taken to the vets with some bite wounds on his back and bruising on his chest. He was given antibiotics as a goanna's teeth can cause very nasty infections (they don't brush their teeth or floss at all).
The vet has rechecked him one week later and is very happy with his progress.